Consumption of infected food and water.
We are talking about both low-quality and contaminated products. This is especially important in the summer – many fruits and vegetables are available, and many people swim in open water. Such reservoirs are a source of many pathogenic microorganisms. There you can get infected with various bacteria and parasites. When they enter the gastrointestinal tract with accidentally swallowed water, they can cause diarrhea.
Eating ripe berries and fruits without washing them.
When you eat unwashed berries and fruits, E. coli enters the stomach. And if there are more germs than your own microflora can kill, you will definitely develop diarrhea.
You also need to be especially careful with watermelons. This berry grows on the ground, and, accordingly, on its skin lives a large variety of pathogenic bacteria. In adults, they can cause severe diarrhea that is difficult to treat. Thus, you can only carefully cut the watermelon, washing it.
Diarrhea when traveling to other countries.
It can be caused by various pathogens, but it is always characterized by frequent loose stools – from 4-5 times a day. Up to 75% of tourists, especially those visiting tropical countries, suffer from at least one episode of infectious diarrhea. Without proper treatment, diarrhea can last 1-2 weeks and greatly spoil the long-awaited vacation. In 80% of cases, travelers’ diarrhea is associated with Escherichia coli.
During the holidays, eating mainly in cafes and restaurants, it is difficult to be 100% sure of the quality of food. Therefore, it is very important that your travel kit includes medications for the rapid and effective treatment of intestinal disorders (such as Bactrim DS and Furoxone). The probability that you will be able to buy the necessary drugs in a foreign country is very small.
Disease of dirty hands.
This is typical of young children who do not yet have the skills of personal hygiene, and the body’s defenses are limited. But adults also often eat street food without washing their hands beforehand. Also, while eating, you can write another SMS, and the surface of the phone is dirty. This snack can result in stomach pain and diarrhea.
To reduce the risk of diarrhea, take preventative measures:
- follow the general rules of personal hygiene;
- wash your hands more often or use an antiseptic;
- thoroughly wash fresh vegetables and fruits before eating, even if they look clean and even if they are brought from your cottage. It is desirable to soak them in cold water for 15-20 minutes and then rinse under running water;
- try to use only bottled or boiled water;
- be careful when choosing food outside the home, especially in hot countries;
- do not swim in open water, which is not intended for this purpose;
- take a responsible approach to the choice of catering establishments;
- avoid stress in everyday life, follow the regime of work and rest, so that the body’s protective resource remains the best.