14 tips for healthy computer use
- Create a comfortable workspace.
- Use a special laptop stand if you work more than 2 hours.
- There should be at least 50 cm between the monitor and the eyes.
- Adjust the height of the monitor so that the top of the monitor is at eye level.
- Position the monitor so that sunlight or room light does not interfere with you.
- If possible, tilt the monitor back 10-20 degrees. So it will be much more comfortable.
- The keyboard should be at the level of your elbows (if the keyboard is tilted, then evaluate its center).
- Tilt the keyboard 10 degrees. This will make it easier for your hands to type.
- Use an adjustable chair or stool.
- Allow your eyes to rest, periodically focusing on distant objects.
- From time to time, get up from your chair and stretch your back and arm muscles.
- The object you are looking at (monitor or book, it doesn’t matter) should be right in front of you. This will avoid constant turning of the head.
- Remember that even if your workplace is designed optimally for you, your body will still get tired after a long stay in the same position. Therefore, change the position of the monitor, keyboard, and chair periodically.
- Try to reduce the time you spend on the laptop in a non-ergonomic position. This can lead to back pain in the future.
How to sit properly
The lumbar spine suffers the most during sitting. Literally the whole body rests on it, but only in a sitting position. Therefore, in diseases of the spine and after injuries, it is recommended to either stand (if possible) or lie down.
When sitting – and in general for prolonged sitting – you need to change body position about every 15 minutes. All you need to do is change the position of your back and legs. This can relieve you of back pain.
When writing, it is most comfortable to sit with your back to the back of a chair. You should sit up straight without tilting your head or upper body forward so as not to strain your body muscles. It is useful to raise the table during long reading, writing or drawing. If this is not possible, make a simple device with books, papers, etc. at a sufficient height. The height of the chair must be adjusted so that the seat is at knee level. The back of the thigh should be lightly pressed against the edge of the chair. If the chair is too high, it will soon become uncomfortable to sit, and blood circulation in the legs will be difficult. To reduce the pressure on the back of the thigh, use a comfortable footrest. When driving a car or going to the cinema, it is important to find a suitable position so that you are comfortable.
You need to sit up straight, change your position often and do not tilt your head forward.
To maintain good eyesight, do not work for a long time at the computer. If necessary, take drugs with blueberry extract (such as Bilberry with Lutein or Bilberry-MIC). Blueberry is well known for its ability to support visual clarity and retinal function.